About Bénédicte Desrus Photography
Bénédicte Desrus (France, 1976) is an award-winning documentary photographer based in Mexico City and working worldwide.
She is represented by Sipa Press USA and has worked throughout Europe, East Africa, the United States and Latin America.
She focuses on humanitarian and social issues around the world.
Her photography explores the lives of people ostracized by society, and the communities they form to survive and find respect. She often spends months with her subjects. Recent stories explored the lives of elderly sex workers living in a shelter in Mexico City, the persecution of homosexuality in Uganda, the albinos killing in Tanzania and global obesity.
Her work has appeared in: Al Jazeera América, Harper’s magazine, The New York Times, Time, The Wall Street Journal, The Toronto Star, Le Monde, Courrier International, Internazionale, Aftenposten, De Volkskrant, Udvikling, Esquire, Marie Claire, Grazia, Elle, Henne, The Financial Times Weekend Magazine, L’Équipe Magazine, Néon, The British Journal of Photography, and L’oeil de la Photographie, among others.
She has received commissions from a wide range of clients, such as: REUTERS East Africa, Agence Française de Développement (AFD), The European Commission (EC), UNICEF, UNFPA, UNESCO, Population Service International (PSI), Global Fund For Women, HelpAge, WaterAid, Tanzania Albino Society (TAS), The South Sudan Microfinance Development Facility (SSMDF), Gaz de France (GDF), NBC Universal.
Her photographs are published in the book: "40 years of Photojournalism: Generation Sipa" by Michel Setboun & Sylvie Dauvillier, © 2012, Éditions de La Martinière - France.
She co-authored the book "Las amorosas más bravas" ("Tough Love"). The seven-year-long project documents the lives of the women living in the Casa Xochiquetzal, a shelter for elderly sex workers in Mexico City.
She has earned numerous awards and distinctions including:
- 2016 Pride Photo Award (The Netherlands)
- 2016 SoPhot.com Photo contest (France)
- 2015 Syngenta Photography Award (Exhibition Scarcity-Waste at Somerset House in London)
- 2014 Moscow International Photo Awards
- 2013 China’s Humanity Photo Awards
- 2013 REVELA - II International Photography Award for the Social Rights Holders (Spain)
- 2012 Mexico Contemporary Photography Contest - Coahuila’s Mexican Foundation of Cinema and Arts
- 2012 New York Photo Awards
- 2012 International Photography Awards (USA)
- 2012 NPPA’s Best of Photojournalism
- 2012 OPEN Photo - Open Society Initiative for Southern Africa
- 2012 PDN Photo Annual
- 2012 New York Photo Festival
- 2012 Kuala Lumpur International Photo Awards
- 2011 Pride Photo Award (The Netherlands)
- 2011 China’s Humanity Photo Awards
- 2011 XIV Luis Valtueña International Humanitarian Photography (Exhibition / Spain)
- 2011 Open Society Institute - Moving Walls 18 (USA)